Author Topic: Sale of New Jersey Finalized; Team to Move  (Read 310 times)

Offline KurtBevacqua

• American Expat Eurotrash
Sale of New Jersey Finalized; Team to Move
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:02:05 AM »
The long rumored sale of the New Jersey River Rats has been finalized as a consortium of Texas businessmen, led by the Goliad Brewing Company have purchased the team. The long suffering franchise has a history of moves as the team has been located in such places as Baton Rouge, Indianapolis, and Cleveland before settling in New Jersey in 2073. Given the history another move should come as no surprise.

General Manager Kurt Bevacqua announced at today's press conference that the club would be moving to San Antonio, Texas, but play under the name of the Goliad Avengers. Goliad was the location of the other, lesser known massacre during the Texas Revolution. 342 prisoners were executed by Mexican troops in Goliad following the Battle of Coleto. The famous battle cry "Remember the Alamo," was actually, "Remember the Alamo, Remember Goliad." Goliad was also the location where the original Texian Declaration of Independence was signed.

The Goliad Brewing Company Logo will be incorporated into the team logo. The design features an arm holding a blood dripped sword. This banner was originally adopted by Texian forces who had occupied the Presidio La Bahia in Goliad, and while under siege from Mexican forces proclaimed they would rather lose their right arm than surrender.

The franchise is a long suffering one, with a lifelong winning percentage of just .419 and a lone playoff appearance in 2054. General Manager Kurt Bevacqua brings a track record of success in OTBA, having run front offices of nine championship teams for two different franchises. This is the third franchise he was managed. His hiring earlier in the season was actually an opening move in the transfer of ownership as it was a precondition for the complex sale. "We look forward to the challenge ahead of us, and we are especially thankful for the community of South Texas opening its doors for the club," stated Bevacqua. "Our goal is to win titles. Not be competitive, not just to be good, we are going to win championships here. The culture changes now. Remember Goliad!"
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

- Frank Zappa

Offline CMH

• OTBA Owners
Re: Sale of New Jersey Finalized; Team to Move
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:33:28 AM »
Nice!

Also thank you for changing your logo. Was screwing with me.
Fort Collins Owls
General Manager since 2048

OTBA Champions - 2057
Heinsohn League Champions - 2057
Wildcard - 2054, 2055, 2056, 2057, 2067, 2070, 2071, 2078

Offline BleedingCubbyBlue

• OTBA Overlord
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »
How's the beer?

Offline KurtBevacqua

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »
It's not bad actually. The old Presidio is supposed to be haunted so for a birthday present for me son, who is into that sort of thing, we stayed the night in the fort to do some ghost hunting. It's a really cool place. Anyway, about a month later I saw their Presidio La Bahia flavor and naturally had to try it. It was like a double bock and it was pretty good. Better than Shiner Bock.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

- Frank Zappa

Offline KurtBevacqua

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
Nice!

Also thank you for changing your logo. Was screwing with me.
I wanted to play out the season in Jersey then do a big off season move. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to make some uniforms.

- Frank Zappa

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal